Canesten Pessary 500mg | Feminine Hygiene
Canesten Pessary 500mg is an effective single dose treatment for relief from the symptoms vaginal thrush..
Availability: Out of stock
Canesten Pessary is a single application for the treatment of vaginal thrush. It is inserted into the vagina for treatment at the site of infection. The active substance in Canesten Pessary is clotrimazole. Clotrimazole belongs to a group of medicines called azoles and is an anti-fungal agent which fights the cause of infections such as vaginal thrush.
Only use this product if you have been previously diagnosed by your doctor as having vaginal thrush.
For full details on Canesten Pessary please click on the patient information leaflet below:
How to use Canesten Pessary:
- One 500mg pessary should be inserted at night. Using the applicator provided, the pessary should be inserted as high as possible into the vagina. This is best achieved when lying back with legs bent up. A second treatment may be carried out if necessary.
Who should use Canesten Pessary?
Do not use Canesten Pessary:
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to clotrimazole or any of the other ingredients of Canesten Pessary
- During your period as it may be less effective.
Women should consult a doctor first if:
- You are unsure whether you have thrush or this is the first time you have had these symptoms.
- You have had more than two infections of thrush in the last six months.
- You or your partner have ever had a sexually transmitted disease.
- You are aged under 16 or over 60.
- You have ever had an allergic reaction to Canesten or any other vaginal antifungal products.
- You have any of the following symptoms:
- Irregular vaginal bleeding.
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding or a blood-stained discharge.
- Ulcers, blisters or sores of the vagina or vulva.
- Lower abdominal pain.
- Pain or difficulty in passing urine.
- Fever or chills.
- Feeling sick or vomiting.
- A foul smelling discharge from the vagina.
This is because Canesten Pessary may not be the right treatment for you.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding:
If you are pregnant or trying for a baby, tell your doctor or midwife before using Canesten Pessary. If you have informed your doctor or midwife already, follow his/her instructions carefully. To treat internal thrush, your doctor may recommend that you use the pessary without the help of an applicator.
Possible side effects of Canesten Pessary:
As with all medicines, some people may be allergic to the pessary. If you are allergic, a reaction will occur soon after you have used the medicine. If you experience an allergic reaction or the redness, burning, pain, itching or swelling get worse, stop using this product and tell your doctor straight away or contact the Accident and Emergency Department of your nearest hospital. Signs of an allergic reaction may include:
- • Rash.
- • Swallowing or breathing problems.
- • Swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue.
- • Weakness, feeling dizzy or faint.
- • Nausea.
After you use Canesten pessary you might experience:
- Itching, rash, swelling, discomfort, burning, irritation or vaginal peeling.
- Pain in the abdomen or pelvic area.
If you experience any of the above effects or react badly to the pessary in any other way not listed in this leaflet, tell your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Active Ingredients: Clotrimazole (150mg)
Other Ingredients: lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, lactic acid, maize starch, crospovidone, calcium lactate pentahydrate, magnesium stearate, colloidal anhydrous silica and hypromellose.
Buying Canesten Pessary Online:
With Nationwide Pharmacies you can buy Canesten Pessary online safely and discreetly. Nationwide Pharmacies is a UK registered NHS Pharmacy (GPHc reg: 1105564) and our doctors are GMC qualified to ensure that our patients are given proper advice and that our products are genuine.
What is Thrush?
Vaginal thrush (candidiasis) is a common infection that most women suffer from at some time in their lives and is not caused by lack of personal hygiene.
Thrush is caused by a yeast (fungus) called Candida which lives harmlessly in the vagina and other parts of the body, without you even noticing it. However, the natural balance that keeps Candida under control can be upset by many factors such as hormonal changes (menstruation, contraceptive pill, pregnancy, menopause), poor health, antibiotics, perfumed soaps, bath additives and tight clothing.
If the natural pH balance is altered, the level of yeast increases and can develop into a thrush infection causing any of the following symptoms: persistent burning and/or itching around the vagina and vulva, redness, swelling and soreness of the tissues of the vagina and vulva and a whitish, odourless discharge from the vagina. Not everybody who has thrush has all these symptoms; you may have only one of them.
In men, Candida can also cause thrush - a condition called balanitis (inflammation of the end of the penis). It causes any of the following symptoms: soreness and redness of the penis, tightness of the foreskin and a white, odourless discharge from the penis.
How to avoid future recurrences of Thrush:
- Wear cotton knickers and loose clothing.
- Wash daily.
- After going to the toilet, wipe yourself from the front to back as a thrush infection may be transferred from the bowel.
- Change your sanitary protection regularly.
- Try to avoid wearing tights, nylon knickers and close fitting jeans.
- Try to avoid washing with perfumed soaps or using vaginal deodorants.
- Do not wash or rub yourself hard with sponges or flannels and avoid hot baths with strong perfumed oils.
Nationwide Pharmacies online doctor service offers a fast and convenient way to order your prescription medication. Once you have selected the treatment that you require simply follow the steps below:
Add to basket and proceed to checkout
Answer the medical questionnaire
Our doctor will assess your questionnaire within 24 hours
Once your prescription has been approved it will be despatched from our pharmacy
All orders are dispatched by Royal Mail 1st Class Signed For delivery. The vast majority of orders are delivered next day however you should allow for up to 48 hours for delivery. In the case of high value orders we will from time to time use tracked courier services.
Next Day Delivery
Guaranteed next working day delivery is subject to a delivery charge of £7.50. Orders are despatched by Royal Mail Special Delivery Next Day. Next Day delivery orders need to be placed before 1PM (Mon-Fri). Your order will arrive before 1PM the next working day.