Contraception Service Policy
Need help translating this page? Try Google Translate
Contraception Diagnostic consultation
NationWide Pharmacies consultation services adhere to NICE guidelines
Contraceptive methods protect against pregnancy.
If a patient use contraception correctly, sexual intercourse can happen without worrying about getting pregnant or getting someone pregnant.
There are about 15 types of contraception to choose from. A patient should use a method that suits them. If the first method of contraception isn't suitable, an alternative method should be suggested.
Once the consultation is complete, the patient will be able to order the recommended prescribed medication monthly for a maximum period of 6 months. The diagnostic consultation will then be reviewed by our medical team
After 6 months; the patient will be required to complete an online Medical Review. This is essential to monitor the patient’s progress with the medication and to make any changes or adjustments to the prescription that may be necessary. After being prompted to fill in the medical review the patient will be able to request a prescription for the medication required. The medical review will then be assessed by our medical team to determine whether the requested medication is still suitable.
Contraception policy guidelines
1. For a prescription to be issued by our doctor, the patient will need to provide a detailed and in-depth consultation about their request. In the patient’s interest, their answers must be truthful and provide as much detail as possible. If they don’t, then our doctor may not be able to issue the prescription.
All patients must be cleared (green flagged) on the Onfido system (online identification software).
2. The type of contraception offered will be identified by our contraception consultation. Patients should be 18 or over and a consultation form must be filled out by the patient themselves.
3. Once a patient has completed the contraception consultation and our doctor has issued a prescription, the patient does not have to complete another for the same request. Following the consultation, the patient can order for the next six months after which they will be prompted to complete a medical review through their account admin area to complete a medical review of their condition. Thereafter, they will be prompted to complete a review every 6 months.
4. At the third review, the patient will be asked for their consent for us to contact their GP. An automated letter confirming the diagnosis and treatment can be printed from the patient’s account.
*If the patient provides consent to Nationwide Pharmacies to contact their GP, a consent letter and confirmation of diagnosis and treatment provided should be sent to the GP.
*Provision of false information e.g. doctor’s details, personal information will result in blocking the patient to use our online prescribing service.
5. It is very important that the patient does not exceed the dosage guidelines provided with their medication. In order to help them follow dosage guidelines, they can only order a maximum of three months’ supply at a time. No further orders will be shipped until 80 days has lapsed from the despatch date of their previous order. If they order earlier than the three month period their order may be accepted but will not be shipped until the due date. Please see the table below for dispensing quantities and frequency per medication. A patient requesting for early supplies must make a request in writing and the request should be approved by a doctor/prescriber/pharmacist. A note should be added on patient’s PMR and account
6. If we become aware that a patient has ordered from NationWide Pharmacies Ltd and from other suppliers at the same time, we will reduce or cancel the order so that the total amount of medication supplied to any one person does not exceed the maximum dosage guidelines.
7. The medication must be paid for by a bank, debit or credit card that is registered in the patients' name and address. The address the card is registered at is the only address we will deliver contraceptive to.
8. In certain circumstances, proof of identity and address may be requested. If so we may ask for a copy of the patient’s passport or driving license along with a copy of a utility bill less than 3 months old.
9. If more than one person is requesting contraceptives from the same address it will be necessary to have confirmation of annual review from the patient’s GP and additional proof of address will be required.
10. It is now a requirement for all Online Pharmacies providing consultation services to have a record of each patient’s doctor’s details. This does not mean we will contact the patient’s doctor as we can only contact their doctor with their express permission. When the patient supplies us with their doctors' details they can select one of three options;
“A” we do not have your permission to contact your doctor.
“B”, we have your permission or
“C” we only have your permission for certain conditions with others that remain confidential.
11. It is a criminal offense to give any prescribed medication to any other person. Any medication that is prescribed is for the patient’s use only.
12. A patient can also provide us their consent to access their summary care record from the GP’s record.
13. Should a patient be despatched with a maximum dosage of contraceptives for 3 months period, the patient will not be able to request for contraceptives again until 80 days after the previous medication was despatched.
14. Our doctor’s hold the right to decline a prescription request if unsatisfactory response/information has been provided by the patient.
As a responsible provider of prescription, NationWide Pharmacies Ltd operates a strict dispensing quantity and frequency policy. Please see monthly allowance details in the below table.
Drug Pack size. Quantity
BREVINOR 63 63 (3 months)
BINOVUM 63 63 (3 months)
CILEST 63 63 (3 months)
DIANETTE 63 63 (3 months)
FEMODETTE 63 63 (3 months)
MICROGYNON 30 63 63 (3 months)
MICROGYNON 30 ED 84 84 (3 months)
SUNYA 63 63 (3 months)
YASMIN 63 63 (3 months)
MICRONOR 84 84 (3 months)
MARVELON 63 63 (3 months)
NORGESTON 63 63 (3 months)
NORINYL 63 63 (3 months)
NORIDAY 63 63 (3 months)
NORIMIN 63 63 (3 months)
MERCILON 63 63 (3 months)
LOGYNON 63 63 (3 months)
LOGYNON ED 84 84 (3 months)
KATYA 63 63 (3 months)
FEMODENE 63 63 (3 months)
FEMODENE ED 84 84 (3 months)
OVRANETTE 63 63 (3 months)
SYNPHASE 63 63 (3 months)
Ovysman 63 63 (3 months)
Qlaira 84 84 (3 months)
TRIADENE 63 63 (3 months)
CERAZETTE 63 63 (3 months