Diabetes Home Remedies
19 Apr 2018
Diabetes Home Remedies
While there is no cure for diabetes, with your blood sugar level under control you can live a totally normal life. There are various natural remedies for diabetes that will help you control your blood sugar level. This article will outline the most effective natural home remedies for managing diabetes at home by simply following these home remedies.
Bitter gourd, also known as bitter melon, can be helpful for controlling diabetes due to its blood glucose lowering effects. It tends to influence the glucose metabolism all over your body rather than a particular organ or tissue. It helps increase pancreatic insulin secretion and prevents insulin resistance. Thus, bitter gourd is beneficial for both type-1 and type-2 diabetes.
• Drink some bitter gourd juice on an empty stomach each morning. First remove the seeds of two or three bitter gourds and use a juicer to extract the juice. Add some water and then drink it. Follow this treatment daily in the morning.
• You can also include one dish made of bitter gourd daily in your diet.
Powdered cinnamon has the ability to lower blood sugar levels by stimulating insulin activity. It contains bioactive components that help to prevent and fight diabetes. There are many health benefits of cinnamon so this is a great temporary home remedy to treat diabetes.
• Mix one half to one teaspoon of cinnamon in a cup of warm water. Drink it daily.
• Another option is to boil 2-4 cinnamon sticks in one cup of water and allow it to steep for 20 minutes. Drink this solution on a daily basis.
• You can also add cinnamon to warm beverages, smoothies and baked goods.
Aloe vera gel helps lower fasting blood glucose levels. It contains phytosterols that have possible anti-hyperglycemic effects for type-2 diabetes. The combination of aloe vera gel, bay leaves and turmeric is helpful for controlling blood sugar.
• Mix together one half teaspoon each of ground bay leaves and turmeric and one tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
• Consume it twice daily, before lunch and before dinner.
Due to its high vitamin C and high fibre content, eating guava can be really helpful in maintaining blood sugar level. It is best for diabetics not to eat the skin of the fruit so peel it first.
Okra has components such as polyphenolic molecules that can help reduce blood glucose levels and control diabetes.
• Cut off the ends of a few okras and prick them in several places using a fork. Soak the okras in a glass of water overnight. In the morning, discard the okras and drink the water on an empty stomach. Do this daily and include okra in your diet.
Fenugreek is a herb that can be used to control diabetes, improve glucose tolerance and lower blood sugar levels due to its hypoglycaemic activity. It also stimulates the secretion of glucose dependent insulin. Being high in fibre, it slows down the absorption of carbohydrates and sugars.
• Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Drink the water along with the seeds in the morning on an empty stomach. Follow this remedy without fail on a daily basis to bring down your glucose level.
• Another option is to eat two tablespoons of powdered fungreek seeds daily with milk.
The delicate and tender mango leaves can be used to treat diabetes by regulating insulin levels in the blood. They can also help improve blood lipid profiles.
• Soak 10 to 15 mango leaves in a glass of water overnight. In the morning, filter the water and drink it on an empty stomach.
• You can also dry the leaves in the shade and grind them. Eat one half teaspoon of powdered mango leaves twice daily.
Curry leaves are useful in preventing and controlling diabetes as they have anti-diabetic properties. It is believed that curry leaves contain an ingredient that reduces the rate at which starch is broken down to glucose in diabetics. You can simply chew about 10 fresh curry leaves daily in the morning. For best results, continue this method as it also helps to lower cholesterol and obesity.
Black plum also known as Jambul, jamun can help a lot in controlling blood sugar levels because it contains anthocyanins, ellagic acid, hydrolysable tannins etc. Each part of the Jambul plant such as the leaves, berry and seeds can be used by those suffering from diabetes. The seeds, in particular contain glycoside jamboline and alkaloid jambosine that regulate control blood sugar levels.