Female Facial Hair Removal
21 Nov 2017
What are the causes of Female Facial Hair Growth?
- What is Vaniqa Cream?
- How to take Vaniqa
- What are the side effects of Vaniqa?
• The cause for facial hair growth in women can be contributed towards family inheritance (inherited genes) to have excess hair.
• Ethnicity can also impact facial hair
• Hair growth that has been caused by a hormone disturbance or a bodily influence is referred to as a systemic cause.
• Hormones are responsible for regulating growth and development.
• All women have low levels of male hormones in their circulation, these are made in the ovaries as an intermediate step in making female hormones but sometimes the levels can become imbalanced resulting in certain manifestations such as excess hair growth.
• During pregnancy women may experience a sudden onset of hair growth.
• Although there is no scientific specific reason to increased facial hair growth in pregnancy, it increases the chances of facial hair growth if there is a specific change which occurs in the body causing darkening of the natural hair growth on the body and face during pregnancy.
• Pregnant women may notice their public hair; leg hair, underarm hair and facial hair grow darker whilst being pregnant.
• When the hair appears darker, it can also appear thicker and noticeable leading to unwanted facial hair growth.
• In menopausal women the male hormones or androgen levels, become disproportional compared to the falling levels of the female hormones which could lead to hair developing in women or existing hair becoming darker.
• During puberty some females may develop a sudden growth of darker, excess hair particularly on the upper lip and neck area/ near the face area.
• This is dependent on the level of hormones/ hormone activity in that female as this can vary at all different ages.
• The endocrine system is the system of the body responsible for producing and distributing the hormones.
• Stress increases the levels of adrenalin produced affecting the other hormone levels produced.
• During extreme cases prolonged stress can be an increased risk factor leading to manifestation of unwanted facial hair.
• Anxiety can also affect hormone levels leading to unwanted facial hair growth.
• For example growth hormone Norditrophin
• Testosterone is a male hormone which can contribute to female hair growth.
• HRT could be used to address hormone in balances which could lead to facial hair growth in women.
What is Vaniqa Cream?
Vaniqa 11.5% cream is a prescription only cream aimed at women only for female facial hair removal. This topical treatment helps to reduce facial hair growth from the follicles (hair roots) thereby, providing a long lasting solution to unwanted facial hair. Vaniqa contains the active ingredient eflornithine as hydrochloride, which penetrates to the base of the hair follicle. This reduces new growth by acting on an enzyme that plays a role in hair growth. Vaniqa cream is supplied in tubes of 15g, 30g and 60g.
How to take Vaniqa
• Use twice a day, at least 8 hours apart
• If you experience irritation such as irritation or burning, reduce the use of Vaniqa to once daily until the irritation has gone. Contact your doctor if it is persistent.
• If you have just shaved or used any other hair removal method, wait at least 5 minutes before using Vaniqa. It may sting or burn if you put this cream on cut or irritated skin.
• Clean and dry the areas of the skin where you will be using the cream.
• Apply a thin layer of cream and rub it thoroughly until no visual residual product remains on the treated areas.
• If possible do not wash these areas of skin for 4 hours after applying the cream.
• Wash your hands after applying the cream.
• Wait at least 5 minutes before using make-up or sunscreen on the same areas.
• When using on the face, avoid contact with your eyes or the inside of your nose or mouth. If you accidently get Vaniqa in your noses, eyes or mouth rinse well with water.
• May take up to 8 weeks for results to be apparent. You must continue the full course of the treatment for it to have a desired effect on removal of facial hair.
• No need to be concerned if more than the recommended dosage is applied as this is not known to have any harmful impacts.
What are the side effects of Vaniqa?
• Dry skin
• Hair loss
• Inflammation around the hair shaft
• Skin irritation and bumps caused by shaving
• Skin irritation
• Stinging, tingling or burning feeling on the skin