IBS Natural Home Remedies
23 Mar 2018
Natural Home Remedies For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Ginger can reduce gas and bloating and is often recommended for treating IBS along with its many other health benefits. Ginger can reduce inflammation in the intestines and relax the intestinal muscles.
• Add one half teaspoon of freshly grated ginger to a cup of hot water. Let it steep for 10 minutes, strain out the ginger, add some honey and then drink the tea. You can drink ginger tea twice or three times a day to ease the cramps and abdominal pain.
• Alternatively, you can grate a small piece of ginger and add one teaspoon of honey to it. Consume this mixture before having your lunch or dinner to get rid of diarrhoea as well as improve your digestive process.
Fresh, ripe bananas are a nutritious fruit that can also help relieve IBS symptoms. You can eat bananas to treat diarrhoea due to the soluble fibre in bananas helps to absorb liquid in the intestines. The potassium in bananas also helps relieve bloating and gas.
• Eat one or two ripe bananas daily to maintain a healthy digestive system and prevent IBS.
Eating oat bran on a daily basis will give your body the much needed fibre and help reduce the symptoms of IBS to a great extent. While you eat oat bran, the stools become soft and get passed down painlessly and easily. It also contains antioxidants, protein, calcium, iron, thiamine, phosphorus, riboflavin, magnesium and zinc.
• Add one tablespoon of oat bran to your breakfast cereal daily.
• Also, you can mix one part of oat bran with two parts of water and cook it for a few minutes. Then eat it like oatmeal.
• You can also add one tablespoon of bran to yoghurt, smoothie or a salad.
Flaxseeds are a great source of dietary fibre required for the swift and comprehensive passage of waste products. Flaxseeds are a good supplier of omega-3 essential fatty acids that are known to support the immune and digestive systems. Both diarrhoea and constipation (common symptoms of IBS) can be treated with flaxseeds.
• Take one tablespoon of freshly ground flaxseed with water, once daily.
• Alternatively, add one teaspoon of flaxseed to one cup of boiling water. Steep for 5-10 minutes and then drink this herbal tea before going to bed. Drink daily to keep your stomach clean and free from gas.
• You can also mix one tablespoon of flaxseed in a glass of water allowing it to rest for 2-3 hours. Drink the water daily before going to bed to promote smooth bowel movements.
• You can also have flaxseeds combined in smoothie.
Carrots are a good source of pectin that can help prevent IBS symptoms as well as treat diarrhoea and constipation.
• Put a few fresh carrots in a blender to extract the juice.
• Add a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of honey.
• Drink this three times a day until you notice improvement.
• You can also blend soft, cooked carrots in a blender with a little water to make puree. Consume half a cup of carrot puree about three times a day.
Cabbage juice is another effective remedy for IBS sufferers who experience constipation. Raw cabbage juice has sulfur and chlorine that help deeply cleanse the mucus membranes of the stomach and intestinal tract. The mild laxative effect of cabbage juice makes bowel movements softer and easier to pass as well as keep the body hydrated.
• Wash a fresh cabbage and cut it into small pieces.
• Put the pieces through a blender to make fresh cabbage juice.
• Drink half a glass of this juice at a time, three times per day.
• You must drink cabbage juice as soon as you have constipation.
Yoghurts contain friendly bacteria which provide a layer of protection in the intestines and help generate lactic acid to flush out bacterial toxins from the body. Click this link for further information on how yoghurt can help treat IBS
Peppermint can reduce IBS symptoms like cramping, bloating and diarrhoea. It has been claimed by British Medical Journal, that fibre; antispasmodics and peppermint oil are all effective in the treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Peppermint contains menthol oil, which has an antispasmodic effect on the smooth muscles of the digestive tract. This helps relieve bloating, gas pain and intestinal spasms. Peppermint can also help food pass through the stomach easily.
• Add 3 drops of peppermint oil to a cup of warm water.
• Drink this three times a day.
• Repeat this remedy until IBS symptoms improve.