Movember Mens Health Awareness Month 2019
6 Nov 2019
Movember Mens Health Awareness Month
Movember is an annual campaign which runs every year on the 1st until the 30th of November to raise awareness for mens health. Movember UK are focussing this year specifically on prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health.
- History of Movember
- Movember Money Raised in Previous Years
- How can you get involved with Movember?
- Values for Movember
History of Movember
Movember was founded in 2003 by two people from Melbourne Australia called Travis Garone and Luke Slattery who both began to discuss recurring fashion trends in particular the moustache. The two friends decided to talk their other friends into growing a Mo (moustache) and create a campaign based on growing moustaches specifically about the topic of mens health and prostate cancer. This idea was inspired by someone else who was fundraising for breast cancer. In the first year of the campaign 30 Mo Bros grew their moustaches with enthusiasm and support that in 2004 the decision was made to formalise the concept and get all participants growing a moustache for a positive cause. The two guys put their dedication and research into mens health issues and agreed to formally support prostate cancer as their cause. They also explored prostate cancer groups including the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia in 2004 who agreed to the campaign in accepting funds. Following on from the first year of the campaign, Adam Garone decided to step up helping to take Movember to the next level, registering a company and creating a website for Movember. Justin Coglan then came on board to run the campaign and expand it through different states in the US.
Movember Money Raised in Previous Years
• In the very first year of 2004 Movember; 450 Mo bros managed to raise 54,000 AUD and all these funds were donated towards the prostate cancer foundation. This was the largest single donation that they had ever received up until that point.
• Furthermore, in 2005 Justin Coghlan joined Luke, Travis and Adam to run the 2005 campaign and a formal agreement was made for Prostate Cancer Foundation Australia to become Movember’s first official mens health partner; whilst gaining more popularity towards the campaign.
• During the second year 9,795 participants globally managed to raise 1.2 million AUD a large increase from the first year for the Prostate Cancer Foundation Australia.
• Moreover, in 2006 the four co-founders established an official Australian charity, The Movember Foundation. As the foundation increased in size and popularity so did the number of people that were involved in the campaign.
• Further research into men’s health in Australia revealed that depression and anxiety became a more talked about subject around this time leading it to be considered in Movember campaign.
• The Movember campaign in 2006 was also launched in New Zealand with partnership of The Prostate Cancer Foundation of New Zealand.
• Small unofficial campaigns were also run in the UK and Spain beginning as the concept of Movember expanded.
• In 2006, a total of 65,924 Global Participants
• Movember managed to globally raise a total of 10.5 million AUD.
• Following on from the recent success of the campaign over the past 2 years in 2007, the campaign managed to increase their participants globally to 200,095 expanding from Australia and New Zealand to Canada, UK, Spain and other countries.
• Up until 2007 they managed to globally raise 21.6 million AUD generating increased awareness of men’s health issues.
Since the first few years Movember has continued to expand and grow at an outstanding fast pace. This is due to increased awareness, funding for men’s health programmes, different countries expansion of Movember and further research focusing on prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health and physical inactivity. They are now global and working towards a vision of having a positive impact on men’s health by funding towards it and growing a moustache in November.
• In 2008 there were a total of 373,530 Global Participants
• Movember managed to globally raise a total of 29.8 million AUD.
• In 2009 there were a total of 629,252 Global Participants
• Movember managed to globally raise a total of 44.3 million AUD.
• In 2010 there were a total of 1,077,060 Global Participants
• Movember managed to globally raise a total of 72 million AUD.
• In 2011 there were a total of 1,931,348 Global participants
• Movember managed to globally raise a total of 123.7 million AUD.
• In 2012 there were a total of 3,058,500 Global Participants
• Movember managed to globally raise a total of 141.4 million AUD.
• In 2013 there were a total of 4,027,688 Global Participants
• Movember managed to globally raise a total of 136.6 million AUD.
• In 2014 there were a total of 4,746,905 Global Participants
• Movember managed to globally raise a total of 105.1 million AUD.
• In 2015 there were a total of 5,232,625 Global Participants
• Movember managed to globally raise a total of 85 million AUD.
• Movember managed to globally raise a total of 78 million AUD.
How can you get involved with Movember?
• Growing a moustache
• Move for Movember- walking, running, cycling, swimming any form of exercise or physical activity to help fundraise for Movember.
• Host an event- For example, karaoke night, workplace competition, dinner party, sports event etc.
• Find an event- There are lots of events hosted across the UK.
Values for Movember
• Remarkable experiences