Sign 2 Sing Week
5 Feb 2018
Sign 2 Sing Week
What is Sign2Sing Week?
Imagine living in a world where you are unable to communicate with other people around you. That’s what the world is like for many deaf people. Deaf people can often feel isolated, unable to access information and advice that can help them live happy lives.
This year sign2sing week will be hosted on Monday 5th February 2018 until Sunday 11th February 2018 which is a national event where groups learn a song in Sign Language. This helps to support and fund projects to improve the lives of vulnerable deaf children and adults by helping them access the help and advice on the things that matter to them in sign language. Sign2sing is an annual event, organised by the Deaf Health Charity Sign Health, which raises essential funds to help vulnerable deaf children and adults.
Sign2sing helps to fund projects and make a positive difference in improving the lives of vulnerable death children and adults getting them the support which they need to live a happy life and communicating with people in sign language.
How can you get involved with Sign2Sing?
• Schools: sign2sing is a fun introduction to learning sign language and fits in well with communication, music, PSHE and drama areas of the curriculum. This helps to bring together a whole local community in supporting deaf people in the UK.
• Brownies, Cubs, Scouts and Guides: sign2sing is a great way of introducing ideas around communication, disability and inclusivity to groups whilst having fun raising money for a positive cause supporting deaf people in the UK raising awareness.
• Businesses: Businesses help by doing their own fundraising making the event excellent for team building and staff motivation. It offers positive public relations and fulfils corporate social responsibility goals. Employees find the event inspiring, rewarding and fun in helping to raise money for deaf children and adults and supporting the charity. This also helps employees communicate more clearly and confidently with deaf customers and colleagues.
• Choirs: Making your own music in sign language to help support the charity is for a great cause and enjoyable for choirs. • Your own fundraising, registering this helps to encourage participants to become more deaf aware, learn some sign language whilst also being a fun team building activity.
• Register: There is a guide of sign 2 sing with the different songs to learn in sign language as well as fundraising ideas and resources to help raise awareness for deaf people in the UK.
How does your money help Sign2Sing?
• £10- could help teach daily living skills to a deaf person with mental health issues.
• £50- could provide a therapy session delivery by a deaf specialist, for a young deaf person in the UK who has suffered neglect and abuse, to help them cope with their traumatic experience
• £100- could enable one deaf resident with mental health issues, to enjoy a life enriching away day with their Sign Health support worker
• £250- could provide 10 hours of support, care and advice from a deaf specialist to a deaf person with mental health issues struggling to cope on their own