Top 10 Asthma Natural Home Remedies
2 May 2019
Top 10 Asthma Natural Home Remedies
How can Asthma be Managed Naturally?
- 1. Ginger
- 2. Mustard Oil
- 3. Garlic
- 4. Coffee
- 5. Honey
- 6. Onions
- 7. Lemons
- 8. Lavender Oil
- 9. Tea Tree Oil
- 10. Oregano Oil
Ginger is a well-known natural treatment for various conditions including asthma. Research suggests that it can help reduce airway inflammation and inhibit airway contraction.
• Mix equal quantities of ginger juice, pomegranate juice and honey.
• Consume one tablespoon of this mixture two or three times a day.
• Alternatively you can mix one teaspoon of ground ginger in one and a half cups of water and take one tablespoon of this mixture at bedtime.
• Cut one inch of ginger into small pieces.
• Add it to a pot of boiling water.
• Let it steep for 5 minutes
• Allow it to cool down and then drink it.
• You can also eat raw ginger mixed with some salt.
2. Mustard Oil
When having an asthma attack, massaging with mustard oil can help clear the respiratory passages and restore normal breathing.
• Heat some mustard oil with a pan.
• Transfer it in a bowl.
• When it is comfortably warm, gently rub it on the chest and upper back and massage.
• Repeat this several times a day until asthma symptoms disappear.
Garlic can help clear congestion in your lungs during the early stages of asthma.
• Boil two or three cloves in one quarter cup of milk.
• Allow it to cool to room temperature and then drink it.
The caffeine in regular coffee can help control asthma attacks because it acts as a bronchodilator. Hot coffee helps relax and clear the airways to help you breathe easier. Do not use caffeine as a regular treatment if you are considering this as a home remedy.
Honey is one of the most natural cures for asthma. The active ingredients in honey help to reduce asthma symptoms.
• Just inhaling the smell of honey produces positive results for some people.
• You can also mix one teaspoon of honey into a glass of hot water and drink it slowly about three times a day.
• Before going to bed, swallow one teaspoon of honey with one half teaspoon of cinnamon powder. This will allow you to sleep better and reduce asthma symptoms overnight/ morning.
Onions have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce constriction of the airways when suffering from asthma. Also, the sulphur content in onions helps decrease lung inflammation. Simply eat raw or cooked onions to clear your air passage ways for better breathing.
People with asthma often have low levels of vitamin C. Lemons are rich in vitamins and antioxidants that can help to reduce asthma symptoms. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon in a glass of water and add some sugar according to your taste. Drink this regularly to avoid asthma attacks. You can also drink lemon juice.
8. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has been shown to inhibit the inflammation of the airways and control mucus production. It soothes the air passages and strengthens the immune system. You will need 5-6 drops of lavender oil and a bowl of hot water. Add lavender oil to the bowl of hot water and inhale the steam for 5-10 minutes. Repeat this once every day.
9. Tea Tree Oil
The properties of tea tree oil function in relieving the wheezing and coughing associated with asthma and the excessive mucus. The essential oil also contains anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, which will help reduce the inflammation in the airways and treat any infections that are present in the respiratory system. You will need a few drops of tea tree oil, face cloth and warm water.
• Dip the face cloth into the warm water completely and then wing out the excess.
• Pour the tea tree oil on this damp cloth and inhale it until the cloth comes back to room temperature.
10. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil cleanses the lungs and the air passages. It thins the mucus and eliminates infection causing bacteria and viruses. You will need a few drops of oregano oil and essential oil diffuser.
• Put the essential oil in the diffuser and inhale it. Let the diffuser use up all the oil.
• Use this remedy at least once every day until asthma symptoms improve.
If you are experiencing symptoms of asthma then feel free to fill out our free online asthma diagnostic consultation.