Top 7 Psoriasis Natural Home Remedies
26 Mar 2018
Top 7 Psoriasis Natural Home Remedies
- 1. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2. Aloe Vera
- 3. Epsom Salt Bath
- 4. Garlic
- 5. Oatmeal Bath
- 6. Turmeric
- 7. Olive Oil
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps to restore the natural PH balance of the skin and helps prevent infections. Packed with raw enzymes and good, healthy bacteria which work to improve an impressive number of bodily functions, apple cider vinegar is widely recognised.
• Apply and mix the same amount of water and apple cider vinegar for example 50ml of apple cider vinegar and 50ml of water and place on the affected psoriasis skin areas to help treat your psoriasis. You should see positive results after a few weeks.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel is an effective topical treatment for many skin problems like sunburns, damaged skin, burns, and many others. It also provides relief from the symptoms of psoriasis by treating skin irritation by soothing and rehydrating it. It forms a protective layer on the broken skin and promotes healing. Plus, it is rich in many bioactive molecules that have antioxidant, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory compounds. Thus it helps fight inflammation and boosts the immune system.
• Extract the translucent gel from an Aloe vera leaf.
• Crush and apply it to the affected area.
• Leave it on until it is completely absorbed by the skin.
• Repeat three times daily for several weeks.
3. Epsom Salt Bath
An Epsom salt bath is great for skin disorders like eczema and psoriasis. Epsom salt is a magnesium sulphate and its unique properties which give it medicinal value. It helps relieve itching and burning sensations and softens the scaling that occurs with psoriasis. It is great for relaxation and detoxification due to the high amount of magnesium present inside it. It helps to soften the skin and can be rinsed away immediately.
• Mix two cups of Epsom salt in a bathtub filled with warm water.
• Soak in the bath for 15-20 minutes.
• When you get out of the bath, pat dry your skin and apply a good moisturiser liberally.
• Do this 2-3 times a week for positive results.
Garlic is another useful remedy for psoriasis due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It inhibits the activity of an enzyme called lipoxygenase that causes the inflammation associated with psoriasis. Plus, being an antimicrobial agent, it helps prevent infection. Nuclear factor kappa B (NF-kB), a molecule found in the body, plays a crucial role in inflammation. The activation of this molecule has been linked with psoriasis.
• Mix equal amounts of garlic oil and aloe vera gel. Apply it to the affected area. Leave it on for about 15 minutes before washing it off. Do this daily until you see improvement.
5. Oatmeal Bath
Oatmeal is loaded with vitamins and minerals (like selenium, manganese, and iron) which are excellent for nourishing and healing damaged skin. Many of its skin beneficial properties are because of the presence of therapeutic chemicals present inside it. The starches and beta glucans are responsible for its water retention and protective function. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities are due to phenols; whereas the saponins are mainly responsible for its cleansing activity. All those functional properties make an oatmeal bath a wonderful cleanser, moisturiser, buffer and a soothing, protective anti-inflammatory agent for treatment of psoriasis symptoms.
• An oatmeal bath helps to hydrate the skin layers, reduce both itching and inflammation. It also softens and soothes the skin, as well as calms the nerves. Thoroughly mix one cup of finely powdered oatmeal in a bathtub full of warm water. Soak in this oatmeal bath for 15-20 minutes daily during flare ups. When you get out of the bath, rinse with warm water, pat, dry your skin and generously apply a good moisturiser.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Its active compound curcumin fights inflammation and inhibits an enzyme called phosphorylase kinase that is responsible for skin cell growth.
• Make a thick paste by adding sufficient water to one teaspoon of turmeric powder. Apply it to the affected area, cover with a gauze and leave it on overnight. The next morning, remove the gauze and rinse your skin with lukewarm water. Reapply after a couple of hours. Do this daily until you are satisfied with the results.
7. Olive Oil
Olive oil is excellent for dealing with psoriasis because it softens the skin, thereby reducing flaking and scaling. Simply applying olive oil generously on the affected skin area can help treat psoriasis. Do this several times daily until you notice positive results and symptoms improving.