Smoking Cessation Service Policy
Need help translating this page? Try Google Translate
NationWide Pharmacies consultation services adhere to NICE guidelines
Smoking cessation consultation
Smoking cessation (also known as quitting smoking or simply quitting) is the process of discontinuing tobacco smoking. Tobacco smoke contains nicotine, which is addictive and can cause dependence. Nicotine withdrawal makes the process of quitting often difficult. If we are to provide a patient with effective smoking cessation treatments, it is important that our doctor correctly assesses the dependence. This is why it is necessary for the patient to have a comprehensive and in depth online consultation.
Once the consultation is complete, the patient will be able to order the recommended prescribed medication monthly for a maximum period of 3 months. The diagnostic consultation will then be reviewed by our medical team
Varenicline is safe for most people to take, although there are some situations when it's not recommended.
For example, it's not suitable for:
• children under 18 years of age
• women who are pregnant or breastfeeding
• people with severe kidney problems
A medical review is carried out every 3 months to monitor the patient’s progress.
Smoking cessation policy guidelines
1. For a prescription to be issued by our doctor, the patient will need to provide all the details regarding the smoking patterns. In the patient’s interest, their answers must be truthful and provide as much detail as possible. If they don’t, then our doctor may not be able to issue the prescription.
All patients must be cleared (green flagged) on the Onfido system (online identification software).
2. The type of smoking cessation therapy/treatment offered will be identified by our doctor/prescriber. The patient will be advised on the different type’s prescription medicines and nicotine replacement therapies available on our website. It is recommended that a patient should complete a 12-week course of CHAMPIX treatment.
This will help to get the full benefits from the treatment and improve the chances of quitting smoking.
3. It is very important that the patient does not exceed the dosage guidelines provided with their medication. In order to help they follow dosage guidelines, the medication should be correctly labelled and the patient should be advised n how to take their medications. The patient should be advised to start taking your CHAMPIX tablets 1−2 weeks before they quit smoking. Before the patient start taking CHAMPIX, a quit date should be set. This should be in the second week of treatment (between day 8 and day 14).
4. If we become aware that a patient has ordered from NationWide Pharmacies Ltd and from other suppliers at the same time, we will reduce or cancel the order so that the total amount of medication supplied to any one person does not exceed the maximum dosage guidelines.
5. The medication must be paid for by a bank, debit or credit card that is registered in the patients' name and address. The address the card is registered at is the only address we will deliver hair loss medications to.
6. In certain circumstances, proof of identity and address may be requested. If so we may ask for a copy of the patient’s passport or driving licence along with a copy of a utility bill less than 3 months old.
7. It is a criminal offence to give any prescribed medication to any other person. Any medication that is prescribed is for the patient’s use only.
8. The patient can also provide us with their consent to access their summary care record from the GP’s record.
9. Our doctor’s hold the right to decline a prescription request if unsatisfactory response/information has been provided by the patient.
As a responsible provider of prescription, NationWide Pharmacies Ltd operates a strict dispensing quantity and frequency policy. Please see monthly allowance details in the below table.
Drug Pack size. Quantity
ITEM PACK Monthly supply
CHAMPIX Titration 25 25(can be ordered with champix maintenance)
CHAMPIX 1mg 28 28 (can be ordered with champix titration)
CHAMPIX 1mg 56 0r 5