Welcome to our IBS treatment service.
Living with IBS can be uncomfortable. NationWide Pharmacies provide a range of treatments that can tackle the pain of acid reflux so you can get on with your life. Our free consultation service is discreet and confidential and can be done from the comfort of your own home. All consultations are reviewed by our GMC registered doctor and treatments are delivered direct to your door. Take the first step by using our free online consultation service today.
What is IBS?
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a disorder in which abdominal pain is associated with a range of symptoms. Typically, these include intermittent abdominal pain accompanied by diarrhea, constipation, or alternating episodes of both. Other symptoms may also be present.
IBS affects each person differently. The most common symptom of IBS in adults and children is abdominal discomfort or pain. Other common signs and symptoms include:
- Abdominal cramping and pain that are relieved with bowel movements
- Alternating periods of diarrhea and constipation
- Those who mostly have diarrhea as a symptom are considered to have IBS with diarrhea (IBS-D), characterized by sudden urges to have bowel movements, along with loose stools, frequent stools, abdominal pain and discomfort, gas, and the feeling of being unable to completely empty the bowels. In severe cases of IBS-D, individuals may lose control of their bowels.
- Those who mostly have constipation as a symptom are considered to have IBS with constipation (IBS-C), characterized by the passage of hard, lumpy stools, straining during bowel movements, and infrequent stools
- Change in the stool frequency or consistency
- Gassiness (flatulence)
- Passing mucus from the rectum
- Abdominal distension
- Loss of appetite
IBS Treatment Options
A short bout of abdominal pain and diarrhea or constipation now and then is not unusual. But long-term or recurring symptoms are not normal. They may signal irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) – and are generally treatable.
Treatments: Colofac, Fybogel, Colpermin
We carry out consultations and prescribe medicine to reduce spasm in the bowel and sooth the bowel.
Colofac contains mebeverine, which is an antispasmodic.
Fybogel with colofac contains mebeverine plus fibre. For some people this works better than Colofac on its own.
Colpermin capsules contain the natural soothing ingredient, menthol.
IBS Treatments Depend on Symptom Severity
Mild symptoms occur infrequently. They sometimes interfere with normal daily functioning.
Moderate symptoms occur more intensely and frequently. They more often interfere with daily activities.
Severe symptoms are frequent and intense. They chronically interfere with daily functioning.