How To Delay A Period
28 Oct 2017
How to delay a period
- What is Period Delay?
- What is Norethisterone?
- Before taking Norethisterone
- How to take Norethisterone
- What are the side effects of Norethisterone?
What is Period Delay?
Period delay is when females wish to have their period at a later time so that it can be withheld for a maximum of 17 days. This will work by delaying the whole period for a maximum of 17 days. For example, going on holiday or if a sports event is due, there may be many other reasons that women chose to delay their period. This is done via a tablet called Norethisterone.
What is Norethisterone?
Norethisterone is a 5mg tablet which women take to delay their period. This is a synthetic form of hormone progesterone. The way in which this functions is by keeping levels of the progesterone hormone up, to prevent your womb from shedding its lining, delaying your period for up to 17 days; a 7 days delay pack contains 30 tablets. It can be used for up to 20 days including 3 days before the period begins. The active substance is Norethisterone; each tablet contains 5mg of the active ingredient. The other ingredients are lactose, maize starch, magnesium stearate. They are white circular uncoated tablets and they come in pack sizes of 30 tablets.
Before taking Norethisterone
Be cautious when taking Norethisterone if you have experienced any previous conditions stated below:
• Pregnant or think you might be pregnant
• Previous Blood clots (legs thrombosis), deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, heart attack, stroke
• Previous symptoms or history of blood clot
• Alcohol consumption
How to take Norethisterone
• Take one tablet 3 times a day starting 3 days before the expected beginning of period.
• Take the tablet for no longer than 20 days.
• Your period should occur 2-3 days after you have stopped taking the medicine.
• Norethisterone is Not a method of contraception it is only to specifically delay a period for a certain amount of time.
• You must not take it in conjunction with contraceptive pill.
What are the side effects of Norethisterone?
• General headache
• Stomach ache
• Changes in weight
• Difficulty sleeping
If any of these side effects become severe then you should inform your doctor immediately and stop taking the medication.