What is Collagen? | Collagen Supplements
15 Feb 2017
What is Collagen?
Collagen is a simple protein made up of amino acids and is the most ample protein in the body as is known to come in two main types. Type 1 refers to the collagen in our skin and nails while type 2 primarily refers to joint cartilage and bone health.
Where can Collagen be found?
It can prominent in muscles, bones, skin, blood vessels, the digestive system and tendons and is what assist in giving our skin strength and elasticity, along with the replacement of dead skin cells. With regards to our joints and tendons, it’s the “glue” factor that contributes to holding the body together and is what is responsible for giving skin elasticity, hair its strength, and connective tissue its ability to hold everything in place.
What is the use of Collagen in the body?
Collagen has been studied for its roles in:
- Bone and Joint Health– Collagen may be beneficial to bones and joints in a similar fashion it benefits the skin. By helping the body’s natural production of collagen may improve bone and joint health over time.
- Hormone Balance - Emerging research shows that the specific amino acids in collagen may help improve the amino acid balance in the body and support the body’s natural hormone production.
- Digestion– it may help coat the digestive tract and improve the digestion system
- Skin – it can help slow down the aging process and the production of wrinkles
- Bones – It may aid maintaining bone density and strength as we age
What happens to our body’s Collagen production as we age?
Our body’s collagen production naturally reduces with age. We can attribute this degenerative process to signs of aging, such as the development of wrinkles, the sinking of skin and joint pains due to fragile or reduced cartilage. Other lifestyle factors contributing to tumbling collagen levels in us are high sugar in take, stress general poor diet, excessive alcohol consumption and smoking.Collagen-related diseases most commonly arise from a mixture from genetic conditions, low consumption of collagen-rich foods, nutritional deficiencies and digestive illnesses affecting collagen production.
How can Collagen supplements counter-act the ageing process?
Type1 collagen benefits:
- Increased skin texture and firmness
- A reduction in wrinkles
- Reduced appearance of cellulite
- New hair and nail growth improves in quality and strength after approximately 3 months
- Improved circulation
Type 2 collagen benefits:
- Improved tendon and joint functionality
- Reduced joint pain
- Improved skin moisture and hydration
- Increased bone strength
- Increased recovery speed from sports injuries and muscle repair
As a supplement, Collagen is available in a variety of formats. NatrionWide Pharmacies have teamed up with Medicare Europe and provide a range of Collagen products to suit a variety of needs.
Collagen Extra ® Marine for Beauty
Collagen Extra ® Marine is a unique liquid formula for beauty combining Extra strength marine Collagen protein and Hyaluronic acid with Vitamins C, B complex and Magnesium and contains the most extensively researched Collagen peptides available in the market, clinically proven to;
- Support Skin Health
- Prevent deep wrinkle formation
- Increase skin suppleness
- Increase skin hydration
- Significantly reduce skin dryness
- Improve Skin restructuring
- Improve Skin firmness and elasticity
Each Collagen Extra® marine 25ml dose contains 8,000mg of Peptan ® F the highest quality Marine Collagen in the market, combined with 40mg Hyaluronic Acid, 100% of the RDA in Vitamins C, B1, B2, B5, B6 and Magnesium.
Collagen Extra® Peptan® SR Marine 50ml for Beauty
Anti-ageing formula with clinically proven collagen peptides and hyaluronic acid 3-step skin regeneration collagen peptides:
- Stimulates fibroblast proliferation
- Boosts collagen synthesis
- Protects against oxidative stress
This formula features Peptan® SR marine collagen peptides to provide the amino acids required for the well- being of skin cells.
- It boosts fibroblast proliferation and favours the synthesis of the major structural collagen molecule of the dermis, thus preserving its structural organization.
- Protects against free radicals, limiting their ageing effects
Peptan® SR marine stimulates collagen synthesis by fibroblasts. It rehabilitates the three dimensional architecture of the dermis, upping the amount of tissue providing it with cohesion and strength. It affects the extracellular compound of the dermis in order to negate the destruction of firmness which develops over time, and thus leads to wrinkles. Peptan® SR marine provides a defence against agents spawning free radicals.
Collagen MSM 500ml/25ml Plus for Joint and Bone Health
Collagen MSM Plus® is an advanced formula based on scientific research. Collagen MSM Plus® is constructed from clinically proven collagen peptides, MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Vitamins D3, B12, B6 and C. All in a liquid form providing superior absorption and bioavailability. Our collagen peptides are scientifically proven to address 3 key areas:Joint health and the prevention of Osteoarthritis
- Specific collagen peptides used in Collagen MSM Plus® reduce joint pain and improve joint function
- After just 3 months of intake, the patients reported significant improvements
- Reduced joint pain – improved joint flexibility and better overall joint functionality
Bone health and the prevention of Osteopenia and Osteoporosis
- Collagen peptides used in Collagen MSM Plus® rejuvenates Bone Mineral Density to a normal level
Muscle loss and the prevention of Sarcopenia (Loss of muscle with age)
- Collagen peptides preserve a better nitrogen balance in comparison to whey protein, implying its better suited to sustain lean muscle mass
MAX HAIR™ Liquid Collagen 500 ml for Hair Loss
Fighting hair loss from within promoting healthy hair. Special bio active micronutrients which contribute to healthy hair L-Cysteine, Biotin, Vitamins B complex and Zinc. Max Hair Liquid Collagen hydrates and promotes the reconstruction of the skin with clinically proven Peptan® collagen peptides of 7,000 mg strength. The Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin C aid for improved absorption, hydration coupled with boosting natural collagen production. In a Pilot study the efficacy of a new combo therapy for hair loss of the diffuse type was assessed in 36 patients, followed by a double blind study with 47 patients. The daily dosage was 18,000 IE retinol, 70 mg L-cystine and 7000 mg gelatin. The clinical efficacy was marked by the groundwork of trichograms and quota of the hair density both prior and post treatment. The pilot study determined a compelling improvement, with reduction of the telogen rate by 8.3%, an increase of the anagen rate by 11%, and a hair density boost by 6.9%.