Neck Pain Home Remedies
30 Apr 2018
Neck Pain Home Remedies
The neck, with its intricate structure and wide range of mobility, needs to remain in good condition to support healthy functioning and movement of your body. When there is pain in the neck making it difficult to move your head in any direction, it can be hard to carry out day-to-day activities. Most of the time, neck pain is not a serious condition and can be treated effectively using safe, natural methods. This article will outline the most effective natural home remedies for neck pain relief.
Ice is one of the simplest remedies for neck pain. The cold temperature will help reduce inflammation and alleviate pain. A bag of frozen peas also works well. Put some crushed ice cubes in a plastic bag. Wrap the plastic bag in a thin towel. Put the ice pack on your neck for not more than 15 minutes at a time. Follow this remedy every two to three hours for the first 24 hours.
Epsom Salt Bath
An Epsom salt bath can help relieve muscle tension, reduce stress and give you instant pain relief. The magnesium sulfate in Epsom salt works as a natural muscle relaxant that helps reduce swelling and pain. Add one to two cups of Epsom salt to a warm bath. Soak your body, especially the neck area, in it for 15 to 20 minutes. Do this daily until your neck pain is healed completely.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that can relieve neck pain quickly. Plus, it has a number of important nutrients to eliminate the possibility of nutrient-deficiency related pain.
• Soak a paper towel in apple cider vinegar. Place it over the affected part of your neck. Leave it on for a couple of hours. Repeat twice daily until the pain is gone.
• Alternatively, add two cups of apple cider vinegar to lukewarm bath water. Soak in it for at least 15 minutes. Do this once daily until you recover completely.
Lavender oil can be used to relieve neck pain. It is very effective when used along with massage therapy. Massage can help ease tense muscles and may help you sleep better. Take a hot bath or shower to relax your sore neck muscles.
• Rub some lavender oil on your neck and shoulders.
• Apply gentle pressure in small circular motions to massage the affected area for 10 minutes.
• Repeat daily as needed. You can even dilute lavender oil with coconut oil or olive oil.
You can also use turmeric to treat neck pain. Turmeric’s curcumin is an important phytochemical that acts like an anti-inflammatory agent and hence helps ease pain. Also, turmeric helps improve blood circulation, which helps speed up the recovery process.
• Mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk.
• Heat it over low heat for five minutes.
• Remove from heat, add little honey and allow it to cool.
• Drink this twice a day until your pain is gone completely.
Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory agent that also improves circulation and blood flow to the affected area. This in turn helps reduce pain as well as inflammation.
• Cut a small piece of ginger root into small slices. Boil the ginger slices in two cups of water for 10 minutes. Strain, add honey and drink the tea.
• You can drink up to three cups of ginger tea daily for a few days.
• Alternatively, mix one-half teaspoon of powdered dry ginger in a glass of water and drink it three times daily for a few days.
• You can also make a ginger compress.
• Wrap three tablespoons of freshly grated ginger in a piece of cheesecloth. Put the cheesecloth in hot water for 30 seconds.
• Allow it to cool and then place it on the neck area for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat a few times daily until you get relief.
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin which has analgesic as well as anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce neck pain.
• Add one teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder to two tablespoons of warm olive oil.
• Mix it well and then apply it on the sore muscles in your neck area.
• Follow this simple remedy twice daily until the pain is gone.
• You can also get a capsaicin cream and rub it gently on your neck and back muscles for quick relief. You can use this cream a few times a day.