Foods And Methods For Keeping Your Lungs Healthy
16 Feb 2018
Foods And Methods For Keeping Your Lungs Healthy
You should keep your lungs strong and healthy as these two large essential organs provide life stimulating oxygen to your body. There are many natural foods and ways to maintain a healthy lung. Foods that are good for lung health can help remove excess mucus caused by bacteria, viruses and allergies. People who have stopped smoking especially should detox their lungs to help speed up removal of toxins. In general remedies and incorporating lung cleansing foods into your diet can help prevent lung related issues and help keep your lungs healthy. This will be outlined in this detailed article.
- Green Tea
- Cruciferous Vegetables
- Orange Fruits and Vegetables
- Remedies for Healthy Lungs
Foods Promoting Healthy Lungs
Apples are packed with phenolic acids and flavonoids that are known for reducing inflammation in the air passageways, a common feature of both asthma and wheezing. Include apples as part of your daily diet to help keep your lungs healthier and reduce risk of lung related problems. A British Study found that "Children who drank apple juice once a day cut their likelihood of developing a wheezing problem in half compared to kids who drank it less often.” Another Study found that Women who ate apples regularly during their pregnancy were less likely to have children who suffer from asthma or wheezing.”
The omega-3 fatty acids found in fish like salmon are an antioxidant powerhouse that helps to reduce inflammation in the lungs and may also help fight bacteria. Researchers at the University of Rochester "Used mice to inhale an omega-3 derivative and discovered omega-3s may help reduce inflammation and fight off a common bacterial infection found in people living with lung disease.”
A hot mug of green tea is loaded with antioxidants that calm the body, decrease inflammation, and promote better healing. The hot water in green tea is also great for soothing your throat and protects your lungs from irritation by flushing out mucous membranes.
Seeds are tiny, thin but a mighty tool in achieving optimal lung health. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and flaxseed provide your body with magnesium which is a critical mineral for people with asthma. Magnesium helps the muscles in your airways to relax and reduces inflammation so you can breathe nice and easily. Grab a handful of these seeds to snack on, combine them with a smoothie, and sprinkle them onto your salad to enjoy their nutritional benefits.
Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, Brussel sprouts, kale and cauliflower may help reduce your risk of developing lung cancer. Boston Researchers suggested that "Women who ate five more servings of cruciferous vegetables weekly had a lower risk of developing lung cancer.” This family of vegetables is plentiful in glucosinolates, natural compounds that have been found to inhibit the development of some types of cancers in animals and humans, including lung cancer, by deactivating cancer cells and decreasing inflammation.
Orange Fruits and Vegetables
Orange fruits and vegetables such as pumpkins, oranges and papayas are full of antioxidants, most noticeably vitamin C. Vitamin C is well known for fighting infections and inflammation. Research indicated that "It may play a major role in reducing the frequency of exercise induced asthma symptoms by as much as 52%.”
Garlic has anti-inflammatory properties and reduces damage caused by free radicals. A Chinese Study discovered that "People who consumed three cloves of raw garlic twice a week were 44% less likely to develop lung cancer. Even smokers reduced their risk by 30%. "
Nuts give your body a dose of Vitamin E, which helps reduce inflammation, boosts your immune system and creates red blood cells which deliver more oxygen to your body. Stable supplies of oxygen helps prevent the blood vessels in your lungs from constricting and helps you breathe better.
Spicy foods like chili help to break down excess mucus in the lungs and the body in general. That is why when you eat spicy foods, you can immediately feel that your nose is starting to run. In the same way spicy foods affect the excess mucus and tar in the lungs, helping our body to eliminate them more easily.
This universal plant is rich in many essential nutrients. It prevents many diseases, including cancer and lung infections, and it helps break down mucus and expel toxins from the body.
Remedies for Healthy Lungs
Lung Cleansing allows you to detox these two most important organs of the tar and toxins, reduce the risk of lung diseases and lung cancer, increase lung capacity and improve our general health. The cleansing of lungs is recommended to smokers, both active and passive as well as people who live in polluted areas.
• Breathing Exercises
This is one of the most effective ways of cleansing your lungs. These exercises are best to do in the morning, when the air is clean and fresh, providing you with a great start to the day. Follow these steps
1. Take a standing position. Be relaxed. Keep your arms at your sides and your feet slightly apart.
2. Take a few deep breaths and exhale through the nose.
3. Now breathe in through your nose and exhale slowly through your mouth until you cannot exhale anymore.
4. Do not stop here as there is still air remaining in your lungs. Some of the air remains in the lungs and is not replaced as we breathe.
5. Now, force your diaphragm to exhale all the air from your lungs with wheezing. Several times exhale through the mouth with a "ha ... ha ... ha ..." until you feel there is no more air in the lungs. At this point you will feel you have pulled in your belly toward the spine.
6. Through the nose, slowly inhale fresh, clean air in your empty lungs.
7. Fill your lungs with air completely, and then hold your breath for five seconds, counting them slowly. At this point, the oxygen has filled your lungs and every cell in the body!
8. Again, exhale through your mouth until there is no air left in your lungs and repeat the "ha ... ha ... ha" to expel the remaining air out of the lungs.
9. Go back to step 4.
10. Repeat as many times as you like. Besides purifying the lungs, this exercise has another benefit: your stomach will eventually become strong and straight.
• Inhalations with Essential Oils
Regularly (two or three times per week) perform inhalations with essential oils of eucalyptus, peppermint, rosemary or thyme. This will help you quickly cleanse the lungs of toxins and excess mucus. For such inhalation it is not necessary to buy a special device. Simply heat some water in a large pot, add a few drops of natural essential oils and throw a towel over your head as you inhale. Inhalation of hot steam with essential oils is pleasant and relaxing and will immediately relieve breathing problems. It can be used not only for detoxifying the lungs, but also in cases of flu, colds, bronchitis, laryngitis, and other respiratory illnesses.
• Watercress Plant
Watercress is considered crucial in cleansing the lungs. It can be used for making simple and delicious soup, which efficiently cleanses the lungs of toxins. It is recommended to consume watercress soup twice a month, especially if you are an active or passive smoker. What you will need is 1kg of watercress (flowers and stems), 2 cups of dates, and 4 cups of water. How to apply this:
1. Place all ingredients in a pot over a mild heat.
2. When it boils, reduce the heat and simmer for a minimum of four hours.
3. If the foam starts forming at the surface of the soup, remove it with a spoon.
4. Once the soup is ready, season it according to your taste. This soup is very tasty. You can serve it with rice and other dishes.
Ginger is a powerful tool for detoxification of the lungs. You can use it in many ways. Ginger root tea mixed with lemon facilitates breathing and promotes the elimination of toxins from the respiratory tract. You can also create a warm bath with powdered ginger. The bath should last at least twenty minutes. The ginger bath opens pores and stimulates sweating, which helps eliminate toxins. The steam you inhale goes directly into the airways and eases the process of purifying the lungs. With every meal, eat a small piece of ginger. This will improve your digestion and will contribute to the process of cleansing the body.
• If you smoke try and reduce smoking and even better quit completely to benefit your lung health.